I didn’t realize that purchasing a new home meant a new budding relationship with Home Depot. Don’t worry Lowes, I didn’t forget you. I think I’ve been to a hardware store at least 2 to 3 times a week since we purchased our home. Keep in mind, that we’ve only been homeowners since late December. In fact, I spent part of my New Year’s Eve in Lowes. What has happened to me? Instead of shopping for a party dress, I was shopping for a toilet seat. Weird – yes, but it was a necessity considering we only had one working toilet!!
Here are a few ways that owning a home has changed my life in just a few short weeks:
- The clothing budget has now become the decorating/renovating budget.
- Refrigerators are not made like they used to be.
- People can seriously be gross. Seriously.
- A finished basement can quickly turn into an unfinished basement (and another project) when it floods with water. More on that later.
- Money meant for shoes was spent on a shop vac.
- I’m glad I kept my galoshes. See honey I told you I’d wear them again. Clearly you can never have too many shoes.
- Homeowners get to play in the mud like kids.
- We learned about plumbing! Well, Dillon learned more about plumbing than I did.
- Raking leaves was really exciting, until I realized I had to strategically scoop them into bags rather than jump in them.
- I discovered I probably have way too much stuff.
- Everything and every project inevitably takes much longer than you think you will.
- I have the greatest family and friends in the world. I can not thank you enough for all of your help!